9 Buchanan & 25 Donkin streets, West End
R & F Property Australia Pty Ltd
Demolish two multi-storey steel and concrete warehouses, leaving a portion of one of the structures to protect a live transformer.
- Plumbing, gas and electrical services were disconnected or capped.
- A demolition permit was secured.
- All asbestos-containing material was removed and a clearance certificate issued.
- All salvageable materials were removed manually with mechanical assistance where necessary.
- The section to remain in situ was manually separated from the structure and a protection gantry was erected around the transformer.
- The structures were mechanically demolished and the site cleared of all demolition waste.
The site was originally developed on land with hydrocarbon contamination. Due to the potential for rising gases, ground slabs and tree stumps could not be disturbed and ground disturbance had to be kept to a minimum. The physical height of the structures also meant that lower storeys had to be demolished first. We used the resulting rubble to construct an elevated platform for excavators to access higher sections.